De-cluttering With Ebay For First Timers

Ever since the kids were young, we have been stockpiling there old clothes, shoes and toys. However I now have two little ones both of school age and so the once small pile of old clothes has overtime turn’t into something that resembles a small shops worth. Friends of mine have suggested selling bits on Ebay in the past, but because its something I’ve never done I was a bit nervous about doing it.

I have brought things in the past of Ebay and it was simple enough, I never had any issues. However actually selling products on there I was worried about how hard it would be. I was worried that it might take a long time to set it all up or ever when it was set up I might do it wrong. I was wrong though and needn’t of been worried as it was surprisingly easy to do and thanks to the Ebay app it hardly took any time at all.

The whole process was made even easier thanks to the Ebay App which can be downloaded from the playstore if your an android user or the app store if your a apple user.

Once downloaded you then just simply follow 4 steps.

1. SNAP IT
Use your phone to take a picture of the item/items, making sure you try and get the best angel possible. To try and make sure you have the best lightening for the image, don’t be afraid to take several different snaps. The nicer your product looks in the photo, the more likely it is to stand out to potential buyers resulting in a quicker sale.

2. WRITE IT
Take your time when it comes to writing the description for your item/items. It is important to be as descriptive as possible, so the buyer knows what it is there buying and what to expect from it in terms its condition etc. Being as honest as possible is also very important as it can save having any issues later on if the buyer ends up not being happy with what they’ve brought.

3. PRICE IT
Pricing items can be quiet tough, its hard to know what things are worth. I was worried if i priced it too high, then it might put people of buying. However that’s where Ebay comes in as they can suggest a rough price of what similar products to yours have sold for, which helps act as a guide. You can also opt to auction the item off, so you input a starting price your happy with and then people bid for a time set by you in order to try and win the item. However if this isn’t suitable there is also a buy it now option, where you set the price your happy to sell the item for and then if someone is happy with it at that price and click buy it now and its theirs.

4. POST IT
When it comes to posting the item to the buyer, again Ebay comes in very useful as it gives you costs depending on which delivery option you select. You can also print out the postage label with the buyers address on. Saving you lots of time. There is also another option of Local collection, if the person lives close by then this can sometimes be the easiest option to choose.

I followed these 4 steps recently myself. I found that I was turned from a Ebay newbie to what felt like a Ebay Professional. Something that seemed so scary and daunting to me before was actually so easy to do. I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner.

From downloading the app and using these 4 steps above I have successfully been able to list 2 items this week. The auctions are still currently running however both items already have a fair few bids. Meaning that hopefully once the auctions have finished I will have funds to put towards Christmas presents for the kids. As well as a slowly clearing out the unneeded kids bits, that have been lying around the house unused for years.  I’m excited to list more items on Ebay now .

*This is a collaborative post. I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Panel, a group of parent bloggers who have volunteered to review products, services, events and brands for Mumsnet. I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity. I have received a voucher as a token of thanks for this post.*

Share:

34 Comments

1. September 29, 2017 / 9:15 am

I have never sold anything in eBay.
    You make it sound so simple and I guess it is really,if millions of others can do it . The step by step help is absolutely handy for the likes of someone like me !no issue buying but cautious of selling ! I appreciate the simple approach and will have to have a look at this the next time I stop myself from selling something !

2. September 29, 2017 / 9:41 am

I enjoy selling on Ebay. It’s often very easy and helps to ease money worries.

3. September 29, 2017 / 9:53 am

This is so handy! I’ve not used ebay for years but am tempted now!

4. September 29, 2017 / 1:00 pm

Thank you for simplifying the process. Ill have to give this a try with all the dvds we have lying around 🙂

5. September 29, 2017 / 9:00 pm

I use ebay loads for selling. In fact, I was looking at my seller stats earlier… I’ve sold almost 400 items for a combined total of over 1k. It’s never going to make me millions but it puts a little extra in my pocket for stuff that would have ended up in the bin… because I always fail to do anything with it.

6. September 30, 2017 / 6:57 am

Oh we are drowning under baby stuff. Although Kipper is only 16 months old we are not planning on anymore so I am having to try and part with some of his baby bits. Some I have decided to keep but the majority of it has to go. I am worried about the same things will it go how do I post it? Someone recommend Hermes to me so I am looking into that and then I am going to try and get rid of as much as I can before Christmas.

7. September 30, 2017 / 7:04 am

I have to admit I have never ebayed anything because I thought it would be a hassle but the app does make it sound incredibly simple so many I’ll give it a shot!

8. September 30, 2017 / 8:43 am

I really need to do this as we have so many outgrown kids clothes and toys . The app looks really easy, just a shame about the fees!

9. September 30, 2017 / 4:28 pm

This is a great post, I’ve been meaning to start selling on Ebay for years now! x

10. September 30, 2017 / 4:44 pm

Great post, I really need to do this!

11. Jasmin N
    September 30, 2017 / 4:53 pm

Now I know where I’m putting some of the items for sale I’ve been meaning to do for ages. Thanks for the tips! 🙂

12. October 1, 2017 / 5:44 am

I really ought to do something like this. I have so much stuff in my house – something needs to go!

13. October 1, 2017 / 9:47 am

Look really simple. I’ve never tried as I take all our old stuff to charity shops and clothes banks when we no longer need them, but good to see it’s not too hard to do.

14. October 1, 2017 / 10:14 am

I used to sell on ebay all the time but have to admit I have been burned by unscrupulous buyers claiming not to have received products. Maybe I should try again

15. October 1, 2017 / 11:33 am

You make it sound so simple! I’ve never sold on eBay as I always think it’s too much hassle. I usually just give loads to charity – I dread to think the amount of money I’ve given away over the years! I might just have to dip my toe in to eBay selling the next time I want to get rid of a few things.

16. October 1, 2017 / 12:13 pm

I used to buy and sell everything on Ebay! I haven’t done it for years! These times, I tend to donate to charity, and if there is something I am no longer using, I tend to give it to a friend who needs it, but Ebay is really fab for making a bit of money quickly. It’s nice and simple to use

17. October 1, 2017 / 2:30 pm

I used to really love ebay, but more and more I find buyers being super sneaky and taking advantage. These would be great tips for a newbie though.

18. October 1, 2017 / 6:41 pm

I’ve been selling on ebay lately and it’s so addictive! I love making a sale and raising money for new things!

19. October 1, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Such a simple process, but a rewarding one. I have a friend who makes a living selling on eBay.

20. October 2, 2017 / 12:03 am

I’m a huge EBay fan and have beeen decluttering this weekend with an aim to list some items this coming week.

21. October 2, 2017 / 12:31 pm

I recently won a Kindle, and after swearing I’ll never part with my books I’m under severe pressure from PK to get rid now, especially as I’ve been glued to it! I had a sneaky look to see if they’re worth anything when he was still in bed. I was up to £67 and I didn’t even get 15% of the way through then pile! I may just have that declutter after all 🙂

22. October 2, 2017 / 7:58 pm

It’s so rewarding having a good old eBay declutter! I sold quite a lot of old baby clothes recently!

23. October 2, 2017 / 9:32 pm

I need to get on and eBay stuff. I used to use it so much, and sold so much of the kids stuff when they were younger. Great for household items too

24. October 2, 2017 / 10:27 pm

I use to use eBay but now with baby bits I find facebay and all the other local group a lot easier. I don’t have time to get things posted and I want to avoid eBay fees. Never seem to have any problems shifting things, it’s all about bright clear photos that helps me sell my bits.

25. October 3, 2017 / 2:13 pm

I have to say the Ebay app really came into it’s own for me earlier this year as we got ready to emigrate. So easy to take a picture and list the item for sale!

26. October 3, 2017 / 4:34 pm

I’ve sold hundreds of items via eBay and generally had a really good experience but I have found it harder lately with so much competition

27. October 4, 2017 / 7:56 am

We’ve only sold the odd bit here and there but I have so much more I could get rid of. I think because I feel it’s quite time consuming to actually sort everything out, photograph it, store it before it goes and then pack it all up ready for dispatch but ultimately a clutter free room is better than not doing it at all! I feel inspired now so will probably spend my weekend getting all this done x

28. October 4, 2017 / 9:28 am

Thanks for breaking it down, it now looks so easy. I used shpock before and I didn’t like it much. When I get the time I will check it out..

29. October 4, 2017 / 9:37 am

We do clear outs a few times a year and use eBay to sell a lot of our old things gather dust. It actually helps to fund our travels.

30. October 4, 2017 / 2:48 pm

I have just sold a few on eBay too and found it so easy, I now plan on having a huge declutter and selling spree x

31. October 4, 2017 / 8:21 pm

I like selling and buying on eBay. I just need to find the time to do some more listing.

32. October 4, 2017 / 11:16 pm

I havent used eBay in ages. Totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!