We’ve all heard about the about the dreaded toddler and teenager years. However one thing most parents aren’t warned about until its too late is the ‘THREENAGER’.
DEFINITION OF A THREENAGER: A Three year old child spouting the attitude of a spoiled teenage *facepalm*.
I myself have a Threenager a 3-year-old girl who acts like they are going on 13. She often shows a lot of attitude, has a lot of opinions and well Hell hath no fury a Threenager who doesn’t get her own way.
Here are 7 telltale signs that you yourself are living with a Threenager.
1. They want to do everything by themselves.
Dare try and interfere with there independence and its meltdown time. My little girl recently threw a tantrum recently because she wanted to walk back from pre school on her own and then when I tried to hold her hand all hell broke loose.
2. No amount of trying could convince them to tell you what happened at preschool.
Its like they have some sort of code ‘WHAT HAPPENS AT PRE SCHOOL, STAYS AT PRE SCHOOL’. Everyday I ask my 3 year old a series of questions about her day at preschool.
“what did you do at Pre school today?”
“did you do draw?”
“did you play outside?”
Threenager- “I JUST DIDN’T DO NOTHING”.
3. Everything and I mean everything has to be done NOW!! When she wants something she wants it NOW!! In a minute and wait a second are just not part of there vocabulary.
4. They’ve started to say things like …
‘I will do that if I want to’, ‘Your Being to noisy’ and ‘Stop looking at me like that’.
5. They will say ‘there too busy’ when you ask them to do anything.
Sweetheart can you do mummy a favour please, past mummy’s those wet wipes that are right next to your foot. Threenager’ I just don’t think I can, I’m too buusssyyy’ .
6. When they ask you to do something or for something and you say no they try to bargin with you.Threenager “I think if I pick up my toys then I can have some sweets mummy.. OK ?”
“Is that a deal mummy?”
7. Parents being put in time out is a thing. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been told I’m a naughty mum and I need to go sit on the step.
The good news is that they wont be 3 forever and for most of us this is just a phase that they will grow out of. Threenagers can be hard work and it can be so tiring at times. But then other the other side of it there a little big person now and can say and do things which can melt your heart and all that stuff from before just washes away.
Do you have a THREENAGER at home? What do your THREENAGERS do? I’d love to hear of any that I might have missed out 🙂 ….
I’m linking with: